Wikisage, the free encyclopedia of the second generation, is digital heritage
St Marys station (Sydney)
St Marys station is a railway and proposed metro station serving the Sydney suburb of St Marys. It is located on the Main Western railway line and marks the end of the four-track section of the line. The station is served by the T1 North Shore & Western Line of the Sydney Trains network.
St Marys station opened on 1 May 1862 as the interim terminus of the Main Western railway line when it was extended from Rooty Hill. It was initially named South Creek, being renamed St Marys on 1 August 1885. On 19 January 1863, the line was extended to Penrith.
In 1942, St Marys became a junction station when the Ropes Creek railway line was built, primarily to serve a munitions factory operating during World War II. The line closed in 1986, later being truncated into two storage sidings at the western end of the station with the overhead wiring removed.
A scoping study into rail investment to service Western Sydney and the proposed Western Sydney Airport was announced by the New South Wales and Australian governments in November 2015. The study's final report was released in March 2018 and included a proposal to construct a "North-South Link" from Schofields to Macarthur via the airport.
At the same time, the governments announced the development of a new rail line serving the airport. This line would form part of the North-South Link, running south from St Marys station to the airport, before continuing on to the "Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis" - an area south of the airport. Funding for the line will be split 50:50 between the governments. The line is now known as Sydney Metro Greater West.
Platforms & services
|Island||1||Services to Berowra via Central.||Mount Druitt||N/A|
|Island||3||Services to Emu Plains.||N/A||Werrington|
- St Marys Station NSWrail.net
- St Marys Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Western Sydney Airport". Transport for NSW. Archived from the original on 1 February 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160201190430/https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects-western-sydney-airport. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Western Sydney Rail Needs Scoping Study Outcomes Report". Australian Government and New South Wales Government. March 2018. pp. 55-56. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files/media/documents/2018/wsrnsoutcome-report.pdf. Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- "Western Sydney City Deal to deliver rail, investment and jobs". Transport for NSW. 4 March 2018. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/media-releases/western-sydney-city-deal-to-deliver-rail-investment-and-jobs. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
This article incorporates text from the following revision of the English Wikipedia article "St Marys railway station, Sydney": https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=St_Marys_railway_station,_Sydney&oldid=863060836.