Wikisage, the free encyclopedia of the second generation, wishes you merry holidays and a happy new year!
Myalgic encephalomyelitis nomenclature
Main article: Myalgic encephalomyelitis
A number of different terms are used, or have been used in the past, to label patients suffering from myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). These terms are not merely alternative names, but denote different diagnoses that target the same condition, groups of conditions to which ME belongs, subsets of ME, or overlapping conditions.
The label used for a condition has consequences for how medical professionals view the condition. In one study, medical trainees considered myalgic encephalopathy as more serious than Florence Nightingale disease and especially chronic fatigue syndrome.
- XMRV Associated Neuroimmune Disease (XAND), a name suggested by David Bell for a group of related disorders possibly all caused by the Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus;
- Myalgic encephalopathy, sometimes also abbreviated as ME, is a general term that denotes a central nervous system pathology with muscle pain, without specifying a specific disorder or disease process. Nancy Klimas, president of the IACFS/ME, has been quoted to say that by 2008 inflammation (-itis) can be identified in 80% of all patients with ME/CFS. The remaining 20% would still classify as myalgic encephalopathy.
- Post-viral fatigue syndrome (PVFS) contains any disorder that can occur after a viral infection and produces fatigue. ME is one such disorder, but there are others, for example post-polio syndrome.
- Low natural killer (cell) syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
- Chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS)
- Yuppie flu
- ME/CFS or CFS/ME