Wikisage, the free encyclopedia of the second generation, is digital heritage
Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport
Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport is a proposed metro line in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, initially running between the St Marys suburban railway station and "Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis" - a development area to the south of Western Sydney Airport. Planning for the line is at an extremely early stage. The line is expected to open in time for the airport's opening in 2026. It will form part of the Sydney Metro system.
- F1 Manly
- F2 Taronga Zoo
- F3 Parramatta River
- F4 Cross Harbour
- F5 Neutral Bay
- F6 Mosman Bay
- F7 Double Bay
- F8 Cockatoo Island
A scoping study into rail investment to service Western Sydney and the proposed Western Sydney Airport was announced by the New South Wales and Australian governments in November 2015. A discussion paper was released in September 2016. The paper proposed various options that could provide a rail link to the airport, some of which are or are likely to be metro lines. The metro options were:
|Line to the Sydney Metro Northwest at Rouse Hill||Likely to be metro|
|Extension of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest from Bankstown via Liverpool||Metro|
|Line between Macarthur and Schofields via Western Sydney Airport and St Marys||Likely to be metro|
The study's final report was released in March 2018. It proposed two new lines to ultimately service the Western Sydney airport precinct: a "North-South Link" from Schofields to Macarthur and an "East-West Link" from Parramatta to the "Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis" - an area south of the airport. The report suggested "a metro or light metro style of train would suit the North-South Link".
At the same time, the governments announced the development of a new rail line serving the airport. This line would form part of the North-South Link, running south from St Marys to the airport, before continuing on to the Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis. Funding for the line would be split 50:50 between the governments. The governments announced the line was scheduled to open by the time the airport opens in 2026.
During the 2019 New South Wales election campaign, the government announced it would commence planning of two extensions to the line; northwest from St Marys to Rouse Hill and south from Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis to Macarthur. This would complete the North-South Link as envisaged in the 2018 report and would connect to the North West Line at Rouse Hill.
- "Western Sydney Airport". Transport for NSW. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160302024021/http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects-western-sydney-airport. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Western Sydney Rail Needs Scoping Study: Chapter 6 - The options". Transport for NSW. September 2016. https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/ehq-production-australia/0add6de478ff4de8026af9de0d5b405fe855defa/documents/attachments/000/039/120/original/TfNSW_WSRN_DiscussionPaper_Ch6.pdf?1473927884.
- "Western Sydney Rail Needs Scoping Study Outcomes Report". Australian Government and New South Wales Government. March 2018. pp. 7–11, 54–60. https://cities.infrastructure.gov.au/22446/documents/72491. Retrieved 7 March 2018.
- "Western Sydney City Deal to deliver rail, investment and jobs". Transport for NSW. 4 March 2018. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/media-releases/western-sydney-city-deal-to-deliver-rail-investment-and-jobs. Retrieved 6 March 2018.
- "Western Sydney City Deal - Connectivity". Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities. https://cities.infrastructure.gov.au/22446/documents/72484. Retrieved 16 March 2018.
- "Sydney Metro Western Sydney Airport". Transport for NSW. 30 August 2018. https://www.sydneymetro.info/article/sydney-metro-western-sydney-airport. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Matt (29 January 2019). "Transport Minister hints at nine new stations for $18b Metro West line". The Sydney Morning Herald. https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/transport-minister-hints-at-nine-new-stations-for-18b-metro-west-line-20190124-p50te6.html.
- "Expanding metro network to connect Sydney like never before". 14 March 2019. https://nsw.liberal.org.au/candidates/gladys-berejiklian/news/articles/EXPANDING-METRO-NETWORK-TO-CONNECT-SYDNEY.
This article incorporates text from the following revision of the English Wikipedia article "Sydney Metro": https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sydney_Metro&oldid=881055615.