Wikisage, the free encyclopedia of the second generation, is digital heritage
New South Wales regional rail project
The NSW TrainLink regional rail project is an initiative of Transport for NSW to procure new trains to replace the majority of NSW TrainLink's diesel-powered rolling stock, including the entire regional fleet.
In the lead up to the 2015 New South Wales state election, the Baird Government committed itself to replacing the XPT fleet (19 power cars and 60 carriages) if re-elected. Having been returned to office, in October 2016 the government announced it was also considering replacing the Xplorer (23 carriages) and Endeavour (28 carriages) diesel multiple unit fleets.
In August 2017, the government announced it had decided to proceed with the replacement of all three fleets. In November 2017, three consortia, led by Bombardier, CAF and Downer, were shortlisted for the contract to build the trains. In May 2018, the Bombardier consortium withdrew from the process. A contract was awarded in February 2019; the successful tender was CAF's consortium, Momentum Trains. A new maintenance facility will be built in Dubbo. The first trains are expected to enter service from 2023.
The 117 carriage fleet will come in three configurations; 10 regional intercity trains, 9 short regional trains and 10 long regional trains. Trains used for longer trips on the regional network will provide two seating classes. Economy class will have a two by two seating layout while premium class will feature a two by one layout. These trains will also include a buffet car.
- $1 billion overhaul to cut train travel times for XPT The Border Mail 16 March 2015
- Coalition promises new trains will replace XPT The Daily Examiner 17 March 2015
- New country train program accelerated Transport for NSW 28 October 2016
- New South Wales brings forward XPT replacement International Railway Journal 28 October 2016
- NSW fleet replacement accelerated Railway Gazette International 31 October 2016
- NSW regional train fleet to be replaced Railway Gazette International 15 August 2017
- "Another Milestone for Regional Rail Project". Transport for NSW. 2017-11-30. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/media-releases/another-milestone-for-regional-rail-project.
- "Regional Rail Project Overview". Transport for NSW. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files/media/documents/2018/Regional-Rail-Project-Overview.pdf.
- "Contracts signed for $1.26 billion Regional Rail Fleet". Transport for NSW. 14 February 2019. https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-and-events/media-releases/contracts-signed-for-126-billion-regional-rail-fleet.
- New Regional train fleet on track Transport for NSW 14 August 2017
- NSW seeks private finance for regional fleet International Railway Journal 15 August 2017
This article incorporates text from the following revision of the English Wikipedia article "NSW TrainLink Regional Train Project": https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=NSW_TrainLink_Regional_Train_Project&oldid=883534404.